Polka dot items are a big trend right now, for everything from clothes to home furnishings. Hair bows, shoes, pillows, blankets, you name it, and someone's dotted it.
Polka dots convey a sense of whimsy and fun, and are for everyone, regardless of age. They grab your attention! Prim little dots are vintage, big bold dots are modern - and you can't go wrong either way!
So in that spirit, how about a roundup that includes both the knitters and the crocheters - and is twice as nice for all of us bi-stitchual folks? Looking at all the spotted patterns out there, I couldn't leave anybody out! Here are 14 free knit and crochet patterns that will have you seeing spots too!
Free Polka Dot Crochet Patterns:
- Happy Colours Blanket, Tutorial by Just Do - Very aptly named! This makes me smile every time I see it.
- Polka Dot Beanie by Manda NicoleManda Nicole's Crochet Patterns - UPDATE: This pattern is no longer free, but is available for sale from Amazon HERE.
- Polka Dot Popcorn Socks by Mary Jane Wood, on FreePatterns.com - So fun!
- Ned Polka Dot Blanket by Shara LambethShara Lambeth Designs Blog - Tapestry crochet makes beautiful polka dots in this design!
- Circle-in-a-Square Motif Pillow by Carolyn Christmas, on Ravelry - Bold modern colors bring this classic motif right into current trends!
- Polka Dot Baby Blanket by Coats & Clark, on Red Heart - Hexagon motifs make up this cute blankie!
- So-Simple Baby Bibs by Bobbi Anderson, on Coats & Clark - You can add polka dots to anything at all, with just a bit of scrap yarn, as this easy crochet pattern shows!
Free Polka Dot Knit Patterns:
- Domino Cushion by Kaffe Fassett, on Potter Craft News - Graphic yet soft!
- Polka Dot Spots by Kate OatesPetite Purls, Issue 14 - Patterns for both the hats and the cowl are included!
- Polka Dot Fingerless Mitts by Marianne Heikkinen, a Ravelry download - Available in a women's small, but check the Ravelry notes for upsizing instructions!
- Intarsia Polka-Dot Baby Blanket by Lion Brand Yarn - Made in 5 panels that are sewn together!
- Polka Dot Tea Pot by Alice BestCrochet with Raymond - Fun and cheery, this pattern combines knitting and crochet!
- Circle Cloth by hakucho, a Ravelry download - This is one of the first knitting projects I made - love it!
- Dotties by Tora Heggvik, on Sommerfuglens Verden - Polka dot loving sock knitters rejoice!
So what do you think? Are you ready to jump on the polka dot bandwagon? There are even more free and paid patterns out there ready for your hooks and needles, so you can cover yourself in graphic color!