The nautical look is back in style, though it’s so classic most would say it never left! Clean lines, bright blues, and graphic shapes typify this look, and crochet fits right in. Sophisticated and uncluttered, I can’t get enough! Let’s take a look at some fantastic free patterns that exemplify nautical crochet!
10 12 Free Nautical Crochet Patterns (includes new patterns for 2014!)
- Nautical Top by Patons: Can you believe this is a free pattern? Made in DK weight yarn, and offered in sizes XS to XL.
- Beside the Sea by Mary Thomson, a Ravelry download: A wavy stitch pattern and small accents make this blanket ready for a seaside picnic!
- Starfish Dishcloths by Mary Ann FritsRed Heart: This is the updated version of a vintage pattern – a great classic look for your kitchen or bath!
- White Waves Coasters or Doilies by Jennifer Scott, on Gizmo Fiber Arts: A few of these on the coffee table will add just the right nautical crochet touch!
- Sea Breeze Top by Lion Brand Yarn: A flattering empire waist and sizes Small to 2X make this top a perfect fit.
Sea Penniesby Julia Crossland, on Julia Crossland: Join as you go, but lots of ends to weave in. And worth it for this gorgeous pattern! Since each “penny” is added as you go, you can make this any size or shape you please. UPDATE: The site seems to be missing/broken, but you can see an archived version here.
- Sea Breeze Skirt by DROPS Design: So lovely! Sized up to a XXXL and embellished with Mother of Pearl buttons, it’s just perfect for the nautical look.
- Sailboat Dishcloth by Lily / Sugar’n Cream: Can’t get much more nautical than this free dishcloth pattern!
- Anchor Applique by Claire Martin from Horizontal Designs: Add a nautical touch to any project with this applique!
Anchor Applique by Kara Gunza, on Petals to Picots: This one is very cool too – and new for 2014!
- Now on Moogly, check out the Nautical Crochet Coasters!
- The Tasty Little Chevron Bag fits the bill here too! It’s a very pretty and preppy look – fresh faced, bold, and ready for warm breezes!
Almost any pattern, with the right color and lines, can fit a nautical themed room, or give your outfit a bit of nautical flare. What do you think?
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun!
Thank you for the nautical onesie pattern. My grandson has joined the navy and they are expecting their first baby in Sept.
😀 Perfect! So glad I could help!
Thanks, as always, for a great collection! The link for #2, “Beside the Sea”, doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll check on Ravelry for it, though. 🙂
Sorry about that Leslie! It was broken but it should be fixed now! Thanks for letting me know!
Great post! This is such a refreshing theme for this time of year. It’s helping to relieve my winter doldrums.
Thanks for saying so rebby! It was fun to put together – especially as it snows again today, sigh.
Finally a skirt pattern that doesn’t stop at Medium! So happy 😀
Sea Pennies doesn’t seem to be working it could be just me lol
Oh no, looks like the site is gone! Luckily, I found a version on the Wayback Machine – try this: http://web.archive.org/web/20120610025146/http://www.juliacrosslandart.com/2011/02/how-to-crochet-sea-pennies.html
Hope that works! Thank you for letting me know Char!
Thank you so much for this awesome pattern… daughter expecting 3rd baby boy in July and retiring from US Navy after 20 years in Oct. This will be perfect!!!
Thank you for linking to my pattern White Waves Pattern, Tamara! Your collection of nautical patterns is really cool. So much variety out there.
😀 Thank you, and thanks for sharing it Jennifer!
The navy onesie isn’t a free pattern
Looks like designer decided to change it to paid. I’ll update the post – sorry for the inconvenience!
The onsie pattern that I found is not free. Is there a different link?
Shoot, looks like designer decided to change it to paid since I wrote this. I’ll update the post – sorry for the inconvenience!
Can you tell me please if theres a tutorial for the pattern LC2272 the starfish dishcloth? Im having some trouble ty
Not that I know of Jamie, Sorry!
Hi, how can I get and download this lovely boys onesie pls?
Hi Isa! I’m afraid I don’t know what pattern you are referring to! Can you give me more info?