Hexagons are the hottest motif shape going right now – for blankets, stuffed animals, you name it! The African Flower Hexagon (linked below) is by far the most popular right now, and I did a roundup earlier this year featuring 10 free crochet patterns that use the African Flower motif. Prior to that, I’d also done a roundup of 10 free crochet patterns using all sorts of hexagons. But today I want to focus on the hexagon itself. Such a simple shape, usually just a hands-width when finished, but within those few rows there is so much variation! Here are the standouts: 10 free crochet hexagon patterns!
10 Free Crochet Hexagon Patterns
- African Flower Hexagon Crochet Tutorial by Heidi Bears: No list of crochet hexagon patterns is complete without this one!
Hexagon Daisy by I Love Pom-Poms, on I Love Pom-Poms: This one is written in UK terms, but a glance at the photo makes it easy to see how it comes together!Unfortunately, this patten has been taken down, but the blogger shares her Heirloom Hexagon Blanket pattern too!
- Super Simple Hexagon by Leanda Xavian, a Ravelry Download: Simple is good – and looks great!
- Granny Stitch Hexagon Crochet Motif II by Lion Brand Yarn: It’s a granny – hexie mashup!
- Puffed Daisy Hexagon, on Colour in a Simple Life Designs: NOTE: This pattern is no longer free. Love the 3D pop of flowers on these!
- Lily Pad Hexagon, on Colour in a Simple Life Designs: Wait, did I say 3D?! These hexagons by the same designer take the prize!
- Starflower Hexagon by Julie Mnemosyne, a Ravelry Download: Including both UK and US terminology, this pattern is perfect for variegated yarn!
- Scrap Savers Hexagon Motif by Julie A. Bolduc, on JPF Crochet Club: A great use for scrap bits of yarn – or for those who hate weaving in ends!
- Springtime Hexagon by Kim, on eggbirddesigns: Photo tutorial included! Love this one all year long!
- Crochet Starburst Hexagon by Jenni Ford, on Lavender and Wild Rose: Another great photo tutorial with fantastic pictures! In UK terminology, but the tutorial makes it easy for US-ians.
And as a bonus, here’s a fantastic Single Crochet Join-as-You-Go Tutorial (Ravelry download) from Marken of The Hat & I – it looks fantastic! So have you gone hexagon crazy? What’s your favorite crochet hexagon pattern? Share it in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Sulia, and Google+ – come join the fun! [email protected]