Berets come and go on the style scene, but they’ll always be a great option, and fun to crochet! Here are 10 free beret crochet patterns to inspire you!
A Traditional Style
Berets are traditionally soft, flat caps with a wide round top and a tight brim… a lot like slouch hats, but the shape comes from the diameter of the crown instead of the length worked evenly.
And beret crochet patterns seem particularly well suited to Spring – a little jaunty, a little lighthearted, still cozy but not so warm as a winter beanie. So as the sun starts shining and temps start rising, here are some freebies I think you’ll love!
10 Free Beret Crochet Patterns
Click on the name of the patterns that you like to go to their pattern pages!
- Phannie by Phoebe Gaughan, on Berroco: This pattern is a perennial favorite! Perfect post stitches make this radiant beret pattern fun to crochet.
- Bridgette Beret by Red Heart Design Team, on Red Heart: The granny stitch in beret form!
Twizzler by Charlotte Yue, on Ravelry:This pattern is no longer available.
- Wave Stitch Beret by Patons, on Yarnspirations: So nautical!
Hip Hip Beret! by Ellen Gormley, on Ravelry:This pattern is no longer available.
- Spring Grass Beret by Quince Tart, on Yarn and Spices: Lovely in laceweight – perfect for warm days to come! You might want to bump up a hook size or so – this designer tells me she crochets very loosely.
- À Là Crème Newborn Beret by Brandi Reis, on Green House on Broadway: This one just for babies – and is too too cute! Precious!
- Inspired by Taylor by Kathy Lashley, on ELK Studio – Handcrafted Crochet Designs: This lovely crochet hat pattern popped up on Hookin On Hump Day a while back – so pretty!
- Marguerite Beret by Tammy Bailey, on Ravelry: I love the start stitch here – and how customizable this pattern is!
- Big Button Beret by Olivia Rainsford, on The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady: Self-striping sock yarn makes this beret stand out from the crowd!
I can’t believe I didn’t find a single “Raspberry Beret”! But red is certainly a popular crochet beret pattern color! I hope you’ve enjoyed this roundup – and some Springtime sunshine!