Plaid is one of the big fall trends this year, and crochet is trending right there beside it. And luckily for those of us with hooks and yarn (and without a trendy budget), there are plenty of free patterns that combine the two! Vintage to brand new, I've collected 10 free plaid crochet patterns!
10 Free Plaid Crochet Patterns
Click the name of the pattern to go to the pattern page!
- Tartan Plaid Wash Cloths by HappyBerry via the Internet Archive: Washcloths are the perfect way to try new techniques - like a swatch, but you get something useful when you're done! And these are too cute! Video tutorial included with the written pattern!
- Woven Scotch Plaid Afghan on Free Vintage Crochet: This vintage pattern dates back to 1947 but has a classic look that's lasted to 2013 - and well past I reckon! Makes me wish I were going on a picnic! This beautiful version was crocheted by Ravlery user abitknottie!
- Plaid Slouchy Beanie by Patons: Super cute hat pattern sized for todders to big kids!
- Noro Plaid by Jessica Suzanne, on Make it (Messy): Noro yarn has a beautiful gradient, and this scarf pattern uses it to full advantage!
- Burberry Baby Blanket by Faythe Saxton, on Amateur Malcontent: Is there any more famous plaid?! And 6 skeins of yarn will run you far less than the "real deal."
- Plaid Baby Blanket by Lion Brand Yarn: The original photo makes it hard to see the plaid, so check the Ravelry gallery for some closeups - it's a good one!
Country Plaid Placemat by Erica Jackofsky by About.com: The perfect pattern for a country or vintage kitchen!This pattern is no longer available.
- Lumberjack Flannelghan by Michele Shirley on Inspired Crochet Design: This one might have to compete with Burberry for iconic plaid status! Oh this takes me back - specifically to the plaid shirt that belonged to my dad... and that I stole when I went off to college! Wondering if I should make it up to him by making this blanket?
- Plaid Pillow by Red Heart: Use motifs or squares to make a plaid/gingham pattern! Great throw pillow with lots of inspiration for other projects!
- Plaid Crochet on Crochet Kitten: Lots of stripes and color changes make this plaid look complicated - luckily there's a photo tutorial to take you through it!
Are you mad for plaid? Ready for the woven look? Is there a plaid pattern I missed that you think should've made the list? Share your thoughts in the comments!