Sock monkeys date back to the Great Depression, when crafters made them out of worn out work socks. Today, most of us prefer the ones made out of new socks, but even more popular lately are the ones made with crochet! These iconic and crafty little guys are popping up everywhere, so it's clearly time to gather together the 10 best crochet sock monkey patterns out there right now.
10 Free Crochet Sock Monkey Patterns
- Sock Monkey Hat by Corina Gray, on Stitch11: There are many (MANY) sock monkey hat patterns, but the ones from Stitch11 come highly recommended by moogly fan Susan M. (thank you Susan!). She's made a few of them and says it's a super easy pattern to follow and the sizing is perfect! Sizes include newborns up through Child.
- Sock Monkey Water Bottle Cozy by Sara SachPosh Pooch Designs Blog: Very cute design, and you know I love a good water bottle cozy!
- Sock Monkey Blanket by Tante Sophie avait un chien/Ina Braun, on Ravelry: Just three iconic colors in a simple layout and this giant granny square says sock monkey fun all the way!
- Sock Monkey Blanket by Linda CyrRed Heart: This is a whole different take on the idea, with a hood and hand pouches to keep the lucky little recipient warm while they giggle.
- Crocheted Sock Monkey by Joey WrightCrochetville: Of course you've got to have the monkey itself, and this one is closest I found to the real deal. It's not an easy pattern, apparently, but the results should be worth it!
- Sauerkraut the Miniature Sock Monkey by Ronda Chapman, on Ravelry: So cute! He's "just 3 inches tall and as thin as a pinky finger" - and pose-able too. I don't think I'd be able to give him up!
- Sock Monkey Finger Puppet, on Monkey Waffles: Ridiculous! Stuff this adorable should be illegal. I'll need to make about 100.
- Sock Monkey Cup Cozy by Jonna VenturaRavelry: Perfect for warm winter drinks, this cup cozy is sure to make any sock monkey fan smile.
- Radioactive Zombie Sock Monkey Toilet Roll Cover by Kristen StevensonSmushed Squirrel's Ravelry Downloads: I had to include this one. Because reasons. Are you telling me sock monkey people are too serious for toilet roll covers?
- Sock Monkey Pom Pom Hat and Scarf by Emmy Berninghandmade by emmy: If you're all set for sock monkeys, then it's time to make them some accessories! Dress them up for the season with this cute hat and scarf. (So cute they're worth trying to upsize for tail-less creatures!)
That's the best of the best currently for free crochet sock monkey patterns - at least in my opinion! Are there other sock monkey patterns out there you feel were overlooked? Share them in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and Tumblr – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at email@example.com. I'm happy to answer your questions and take private custom commissions!
Do you have any patterns for beard hats. I am having trouble with some that I have made with the mustache area. I like the bobble pattern but the mustache are was not good. My grandson wants one of these so bad and I wanted to make him one but I am stupped. Thank You Renee
I do not have any I've written, I'm afraid. There are several mustache patterns out there though, maybe making the mustache separately and then attaching it would give the look you want?
I am interested in the sock monkey patterns
I can't seem to find these patterns anywhere!! I really would like to BA able to make some of them. Please, can you help me ?
Hi Joan! The pattern links are the blue text that are the names of the patterns - click the blue text names to go to the pattern pages. 🙂
I cicked on the blue links and it only brought up a photo...no pattern. Am I doing something wrong? I am interested in the free patter for the sock monkey blanket. Thanks!
The words "Sock Monkey Blanket" should take you to this link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sock-monkey-blanket where you can download the pattern.
I'm looking for a free sock monkey pants pattern do you know where I could find one
I do indeed! 😀 https://www.mooglyblog.com/10-free-crochet-sock-monkey-patterns/
I tried to get the pattern for the blanket with the monkey head and hands but it says it doesn't exist??
Sorry about that, the link broke when they redid their website. I've updated with the new link! 🙂