I’ve done two roundups in the past featuring crochet squares for afghans – the first in February 2012, and again in August. While these squares are fantastic, there are still more new amazing and free crochet square patterns that have come out since – and they deserve a list of their own! UPDATE 4/23 – Two of the patterns are no longer offered for free. They’ve been marked as such, but I’ve left the links, as they’re still good patterns!
10 New Crochet Squares
- KISS-FIST by Shelby Shea, a Ravelry download: 9″ UPDATE: This pattern is no longer free, but is available for $1.99 USD.
- Woolly’s Snowflake Square by Letitia Sherriff, on AuntieElle’s Blog: 6″, 8″, 10″ and 12″
- Tangled Web Afghan Block by Julie Yeager, a Ravelry download: 12″ UPDATE: This pattern is no longer free, but is available for $1.99 USD.
- Owl Granny Square by Sarah Zimmerman, on Repeat Crafter Me: 6″ with upsizing instructions
- Promise Petals 9″ Block (BAWL No. 1) by Margaret MacInnis, a Ravelry download: 9″ UPDATE: This pattern is no longer free, but is available for $0.99 USD.
- Sweet Peas 12″ Square by Rebecca Bisbing, a Ravelry download: 12″ UPDATE: This pattern is no longer free but is available for $1.99 USD.
- Crown Jewels – 12″ square by Melinda Miller, a Ravelry download: 12″
- Center Heart Square by Ginger Badger, on Heartmade Blessings: 12″
- Velvet and Lace Square by Priscilla HewittPriscilla’s Crochet: 7″
- Brighter Daze Square by Melissa Green, on MG’s Designs: 6″
There are many advantages to making a blanket with squares. Each crochet square is a small project of it’s own, perfect for taking with you when you leave the house. They are a great way to use up odds and ends of yarn. And if you mix them up and make different patterns, you’ll never get bored! You can mix up the sizes in one blanket, or bump up the hook sizes and add a couple rows to make smaller crochet squares bigger – every squares afghan is unique!
If you’re new to crochet, or looking for a fun new way to make a blanket this year, consider joining a Crochet-Along, or CAL! There are two great ones happening right now that I know about. The first is over at Little Bird Knits, and she’s doing full photo tutorials of one square a week for 48 weeks. Alternately, you could join the 2013 Crochet Block-a-Month CAL on Ravelry, which is doing a 12″ and a 6″ square every month for the year. I did one of these back in 2008, and it was a lot of fun! It’s a great way to learn some new techniques, make new online friends, and make a blanket!
Many local and national charities also accept individual crochet squares that later get crocheted or sewn into full size blankets, including Warm Up America, which is sponsored by the Craft Yarn Council – so don’t be afraid to make a few extras!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. You can also contact me at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com! Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and Tumblr – come join the fun!