Time to bare arms! Lightweight tops, tanks, shells, and wispy layers are what's needed now - or at least they will be soon. Expanding your summer wardrobe with signature crochet pieces is a fun way to show off your talents. In this roundup I've gathered 15 free patterns for crochet summer tops, with sizes from XS to 5X represented - something for just about everybody!
15 Free Patterns for Crochet Summer Tops for Women
Click the name of each post to go to the pattern page!
- Light Layers Tank by Patons (XS/S, M, L, XL, ⅔XL, ⅘XL): Spiderweb patterns and mesh make a great tank!
- Sea Breeze Top by Lion Brand Yarn (S, M, L, 1X, 2X): This empire waist top is flattering to many, and solid stitches make it a stand alone layer!
- Casual Summer Top by Diane Moyer, via PDF (S, M, L, 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X): Loose, cropped and breezy
- Floral Cami by Lisa Gonzalez, a Ravelry download (S, M, L): Perfect over a colored tank!
- Lighthearted Tunic by Erika and Monika Simmons, on Red Heart (One Size 25"w x 25"l): This is so cute! I love this look over a tee and jeans.
- Airy Lace Shell by Lion Brand Yarn (XS, S, M, L, 1X, 2X): Lovely dressed up or down!
- Yasmin by DROPS design (S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL): A solid top, a lacy bottom, and feminine frills!
- Diamond Shell by Lesley Arnold-Hopkins, a Ravelry Download (28-52in chest): A simple shape that mixes and matches beautifully!
- Oceanside Dolman-Sleeve Top by FlexibleFashions (custom sizing): Great coverage with a perfect fit!
- Cap-Sleeve Top by Mary Jane Hall, from Crochet That Fits (XS - 3X): No increases or decreases in this ingenious pattern!
- Crochet Bronze Beauty Top by Doris Chan, on Lion Brand (Finished chest: 33", 36", 39", 42", 45"): This oversized lace top is super cute with both short and long sleeves!
- Black Openwork Summer Top by Elaine Phillips, on ABC Knitting Patterns (M, L, XL, 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X): I love the vintage feel of this modern top!
- Lace-Inspired Crocheted Top by Valerie Kurita, on Better Homes and Gardens (S, M, L): Close-fitting at the bodice and looser at the waist, this is an intermediate level pattern!
- Ladies Crochet Top by Schachenmayr (One size): This PDF is courtesy of the Wayback Machine, as the company has taken the pattern down. Grab it while you can! A lacy, loose fit with peek-a-boo shoulders!
- Baby Doll Top by Erika and Monika Simmons, on Red Heart (To fit bust: 32, 36, 40”): Fun and flirty for summer nights out!
How are you set for summer wardrobe options? Add a few crochet pieces is a great way to personalize your choices and dress up the usual tees and tanks. Have you made any crochet summer tops? Share your favorite pattern links in the comments!
Want more Moogly? Be sure to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram – come join the fun!
Wow, number 14 is exactly what I've been looking for! I've been browsing Japanese patterns for a while but I can't really get used to reading Japanese charts. Thank you!
😀 That's great to hear Carmen! You're very welcome!
I love n° 14 too! I think I'll try to crochet it for summer.
It would be nice if there were more sensible summer top patterns out there, tunics and such, not all this sleeveless, skimpy, more-holes-than-fabric nonsense. I was looking to find a top to crochet for my 65 yo mother but couldn't find anything suitable.
Sorry you didn't find anything to your taste, Maud. I think it's hard to find non-holey fabric for summer because yarn is so warm! Perhaps this top will suit you better: http://genuinemudpie.ca/2012/04/10/happy-sweet-2nd/
Thanks so much for these! Also for the "extra" link you provided above with the less "holey" version. I prefer making adult clothing & thanks to you, found a few patterns that I'd not seen before! 😀
Hello madam! I'm very impress with your patterns. I like crochetting, i used to crochet bedspread and shawls, but now i want to know more patterns, i want to know how to make tops and dress.
Why cant I get the pattern for number 14 ???
Looks like the company changed the URL - I was able to find the new on on Ravelry and have edited the list to link to the new location. Thanks for letting me know!
I made #5 for my daughter in lavender & purple. Wish I could share the picture. Think I'll make #9 for me and #11 for my oldest daughter.
I haven't made any crochet tops yet, but that lighthearted tunic would be PERFECT for my little sister! Maybe dark blue instead of pink, though. Ooo the possibilities!
Thank you so much for these very cute patterns for summer. I truly appreciate all the great patterns you share!
😀 Thank you so much Tammie!
I tried to make number 14, but I've never done anything following a chart and I didn't understand 🙁
Do you know of any we site that explains how to read them?
Hi Liss! This might help: http://www.craftyminx.com/2011/11/crochet-school-lesson-21-reading-crochet-charts.html 🙂
Wow great crochets
The pattern for number 14 starts with "Cast on 109 ch". Does that mean it is Tunisian crochet, or does on just chain 109 and go from there?
I believe they just mean ch - it's either written by a knitter or there was a translation to English issue. 🙂 It's standard crochet though.
I've made #1 twice. I made it for my niece, and her best friend liked it so much that she asked me to make one for her, too, so I did. It's pretty awesome.
#2 and #6 are my favorites. Thanks for this list. I am hoping to make a summer top this spring, so this list is perfect!
😀 Thanks Rita!
I have tried to make #7 so many times but I simply can't get the hang of reading pictures. is it possible to get this pattern written form. I'm a self taught beginner crocheter and I'm feeling like a real dummy over this. please help,
Hi Debbi! You'd have to ask the designer I'm afraid.
Amazing designs!! You honestly have the best style.
I love #13 but I need plus size. I haven't the time to adjust the pattern..... thankyou for sharing
I got as much sizing variety as I could, at least half with plus sizes. Unfortunately that's one that doesn't offer them.
Where is the pattern for # 11 ? I have looked everywhere. It seems that this pattern is no longer available. . I am not happy with some of these patterns the dolmon top is not easily understandable. Too bad it looked really pretty.
The Lion Brand site is under construction this summer with an update in the works. It should be available again soon. 🙂
I would like to get one of your patterns number 5
Hi Lorraine! Just click on the names of the patterns you like to go to their pattern pages! 🙂 #5 is on Red Heart, so you'll need to click the big red download button on their site for the PDF.
I cannot download No. 14. Could you please email me the pattern. Much appreciated.
Hi Kaz! I cannot email it to you, but I can share the link (and I've updated the link in the post above): https://web.archive.org/web/20130910040728/http://us.schachenmayr.com/files/patterns/FreePattern-S8075.pdf 🙂