Crochet appliques are great for embellishing things – hats, bags, tops, onsies, you name it! And there are hundreds of free patterns for crochet appliques out there – many of which are for flowers, hearts, and other beautiful things you’ve likely seen before. So for this roundup I’ve found 10 crochet applique patterns that are new and different – all free!
10 Free Crochet Applique Patterns
Click on the name of the pattern you like to go to the pattern page!
- Little Skull and Crossbones Motif by Heidi Hengel, on Speckless Blog: Perfect for pirates, bikers, and rock stars, big and little! Her googly eye suggestion cracks me up!
- Crocheted Batman Logo by Louis Mensinger, on Louie’s Loops: I know just who I’d make this for. Actually, several someones!
- Goldfish, Anglefish and Seaweed Crochet Applique Patterns by JTcreations, a Ravelry download: You can set a whole scene – these would be great on a beach bag!
- Mustache Applique by Lauren Frank, on Tutus & Tea Parties: Mustaches are everywhere! Resistance is futile!
- Football Embellishment by Jennifer Kaye, on TheToddlerWhisperer: Hut hut applique!
- Pear Applique by Janet Carrillo, on damn it Janet, let’s crochet!: Be sure to check out her other selections – tons of super cute appliques on this site! All sorts of items!
- Ladybug Crochet Applique by Amani Amani, on Crochet.is.Fun: How cute is this?! Great little summery touch!
- Little Raindrops by Jennifer Dickerson, on Fiber Flux: Simple and perfect!
- Simple Ninja Applique by Karen Moreland, a Ravelry download: So cute you’ll never see him coming!
- Shield, Sword and Bow by Carolina Guzman, on One and Two Company: Carolina is known for her perfect appliques – most of which are paid patterns. But luckily this one is free! My boys would love these!
There’s an applique of *almost* everything, and you can find more crochet appliques here on Moogly, including the alphabet, numbers, paw print, and more! I also made the Crochet Crab Applique by My Merry Messy Life and put it on a market bag – and won a contest with it! I hope you’ve gotten some project ideas and inspiration from this roundup. What’s your favorite applique to use?
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.
Thanks so much!! These are awesome.
Thanks Carolyn! 😀
Can you tell me how to get the pattrens?
Hi Carol! To go to the patterns, just click on their names – they are links! 🙂
Yay! Pinned 🙂
Sara - My Merry Messy Life
Thanks for the shout out, friend! Your roundup posts are great. I always enjoy them!
Thank you so much for featuring my mustache crochet pattern. 🙂 Love all the others. Pinning to give some a try.
I think that a lot of these would be SUPER cute if made with crochet thread and hung on earring hooks!
Great idea Katy! 😀
Thank you so much for posting these!!!! They are great!!! I can decide if the skull or the mustache is my favorite, your market bag is ADORABLE as well. Happy crocheting!
😀 Thank you Becca!
Just found this pattern, going to make these for my son’s 2nd grade class for valentine’s day gifts. Thanks so much for sharing!
oops, this was meant for the mustache applique but I would like to thank you for always sharing such wonderful ideas.
😀 Thank you Tami!
do you happen to have an anchor for a sailor’s hat that is very small – 2″ or a little smaller to go on a newborn brim on a hat
I don’t have one that size specifically, but using crochet thread and a tiny hook should work!