I don't usually follow the fashion trends, but one I've noticed and love is the return of the hat! They're everywhere this summer, and that's a good thing. Good for your skin, good for your eyes, and good for your wardrobe. There are some cute ones in the stores, obviously, but you're a crocheter - make your own!
I've got a couple of brimmed summer hats already, but these patterns make me think I need to expand my collection. And there are a few for the little people in your life as well!
- Straw Sun Hat - The quintessential summer straw hat. Isn't this one gorgeous? Love love love. The designer uses a great technique here, one I'm going to have to explore myself!
- Celebrity Sunhat - This Japanese pattern has been translated to English, complete with charts. The hat is crocheted and the ribbon is knit, so you can show off your skills if you're bi-craftual! Those tiny stitches will take time, but so pretty!
- Yacht Club Sunhat - This bucket style hat works up fast and is "soft and shady." With just two balls of Lily Sugar'n Cream this designer was able to make a this hat and the Knot a Lot Clutch, which means these are great patterns to take on vacation!
- Floppy Sun Hat - This one is open and breezy on the head, but still protects your face from those harsh rays. Perfect combo!
- Ridge Hat with Brim - This one is sweetly feminine, yet it has great structure. I love the post stitches and flared shape of this one.
- DROPS 127-47 - This is a hat searching for a name, and I think it deserves a good one. Open mesh on the top keeps the head cool while a short brim shades the face even when you aren't in the mood for big and floppy. This free pattern is offered in eleven languages!
- Summer Baby Hat - This sweet newborn hat is the cutest! I really like the variety of stitches - they work together to keep the hat interesting and so pretty.
- Kid's Sun Hat - This one is great for girls and... BOYS! I feel like I need to shout this out, because finding a summer sun hat pattern for boys is far too rare. I love this look for little guys and I plan on making two for my own boys. If you're on Ravelry be sure to check out the gallery for this one - there are tons of ideas for customizing there! Upsize it (way up!) and I can see a few fully grown boys rockin' this look.
- Mother - Daughter Hats - Another Japanese pattern translated to English, this is a great pair of patterns. Like many Japanese patterns, they do run small, so for an older child I'd go ahead and make the adult size, and for a big Irish head like mine some upsizing would be needed.
- Little Lady Sunhat - With a face like that, how could I resist? The hat is cute too, of course, and comes in three sizes: infant, child, and adult, with two options for brim shaping. It's this designer's first shared pattern - very impressive!
I hope you love these hats as much as I do. Protection from the sun is no joke, but these patterns make it fun! With my fair skin I have to be extra cautious - somehow I don't think I'll mind so much this summer. What's your favorite summer hat pattern? How do you stay cool in the heat? Let us know in the comments!