The plain, basic beanie has become a classic for many reasons. It’s easy, it’s adaptable, and it’s practical. Indeed, when crocheting for adult men, it generally pays to keep it simple. Crochet does lace very well, and most men prefer their accessories to be anything but. However, some guys prefer a little more flair and style in their headgear, and this roundup is for them, and those who craft for them. Crochet hats for men can be fun too!
10 Free & Fun Crochet Hats for Men
- Stinky Fish Hat, by Catrina Usher, a Ravelry download: This is a crochet version of the knit Dead Fish Hat, and it’s a fantastic reworking of the pattern. It uses some unusual stitches, so it might not be for beginners.
- Totally Tam, by Shannon Mullett-Bowlsby, in Talking Crochet: There are men’s and women’s version of this hat, so be sure to scroll down for the guy’s version. It’s got a very modern silhouette.
- Jayne’s Cunning Crochet Hat, by Becca Stareyes, on PheonixDawn Crafts: Fans of the (too) short lived sci fi series Firefly will recognize this great ear flap cap! For the man who’s not afraid of anything.
- Super Fast & Easy Unisex Brim Hat, by Dawn Gillis, a Ravelry download: With just 100 yards of Super Bulky yarn, I dare say this one will live up to it’s name! This is a great looking brimmed hat.
- Faux-hawk Mo hawk Earflap Beanie, by Ashlee Pisbrey, on I’m Topsy Turvy: The photo might be of a wee little man, but this hat pattern comes in adult (and child) size as well.
- Skull Cap, by Deborah Bagley, on Knit Pro Cro: You’ll need to know the basics of tapestry crochet for this pattern, but I know lots of guys who’d love one of these hats!
- Crochet Stocking Cap, by Sharon Shapefive, on CrochetCrochet: ‘Tis the season for a long winter’s cap!
- Star Wars Droid Beanies, by Jen Spears, a Ravelry download: These beanies are anything but boring if you’re a Star Wars fan!
- Crochet TARDIS Hat, by Acquanetta Ferguson, on Examiner.com: Every Whovian I know would go crazy for this cap!
- Brain Waves Beanie, by Liz McQueen, a Ravelry download: This is the perfect hat for any guy who doesn’t want boring, but doesn’t want crazy either. It’s got fantastic lines and lots of interest, combined with simple stitches that keep it masculine.
What do the guys you know want in a hat? Plain and simple, or do they like a little flair? Would they wear the Bobble Poof Earflap Hat (seen below)? It’s got an adult size too, and it’s definitely full of personality. What’s your go-to crochet hats for men pattern that’s got punch? Share it in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and Tumblr – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at email@example.com to order your own ooak moogly items – I’m taking commissions! However, orders must be in by December 14th to give me a chance to complete them in time for holiday shipping.