Flip flops, aka thong sandals, are an iconic piece of summer clothing. And while summer isn’t here yet (and it’s REALLY not here yet for some of us), it will be soon! So now’s the time to get ready and think warm thoughts. Love ’em or hate ’em, nothing says summer like the these ultra casual shoes. Here are 10 free crochet patterns that celebrate flip flops!
10 Free Crochet Flip Flops Patterns
- Vertical crocodile sandals by Mary Kathryn, on Crochet Chiq: Great tutorial and fun way to transform cheap flip flops with one of the hottest crochet stitches!
- Walk On The Beach Coaster by Amber Jones, on Yarn Pixie: Perfect for setting the mood when tropical drinks are on the menu!
- Rainbow Flip Flop Socklets by Kendra Kat, a Ravelry download: I’m not sure if these have a strictly practical purpose, but they are very pretty and fun – and isn’t that enough?
- Adult Flip Flop Slippers by Crafts by Starlight, on Craftown: Make your own crochet house slippers – flip flop style! I wonder if using hemp or jute for the soles wouldn’t let make out-of-the-house slippers too?
- Crochet Baby Slipper by Melody Lagurin, on Everything`s Crochet: Can’t forget the babies! I’m not sure how long they’ll stay on, but they’ll look cute in photos!
- Crochet Embellished Flip Flops by Linda Permann, on CraftStylish: This step by step tutorial will have you crocheting right on the flip flop! Add the button shown, or the flower of your choice! (Here and here are some beautiful flowers for inspiration!)
- Glass Flip Flops by Drew Emborsky, on The Crochet Dude: It’s a coaster and wine charm all in one – perfect touch of fun for casual parties!
- Slippah Luggage Tag by Hawai’i Ben Franklin Craft Club, on Create Your Craft: Jetting off to somewhere sunny… or just wish you were? These fun crochet luggage tags will get you ready for fun in the sun!
- Penguin Flip Flops by Pam Grennes, on Crochet Parfait: Includes instructions for the penguin applique – to keep your feet cool!
- 5 Minute Finger Flip Flop Pattern by Sahrit Freud-Weinstein, on Sahrit In Wonderland: So cute and tiny! Make a pair for earrings, add them as an applique, put it on a string for a cell phone charm – they’re just fun!
Did you know that flip flops style shoes date back to the ancient Egyptians? The Greeks and Romans wore them, though the Romans wore them with the toe strap between the second and third toes – hard to imagine if you’re used to the current style! Although many prefer sturdier shoes for daily wear, I hope most of you can find something to love in this roundup! Do you wear flip flops? Prefer them plain or prettied up? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the Moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com.