Is there anything more filled with hope and anticipation than a neat row of Christmas stockings? Hung on a mantle, dangling from a handy shelf, or laid under the tree, they’re decoration, tradition, and a little bit of magic. This year you can upgrade from the fuzzy stockings with the glitter and glue, and create full sized handcrafted crochet Christmas stockings for each member of the family – even the pets! These free patterns will get those hooks moving, and a little big of magic happening!
10 Free Patterns for Crochet Christmas Stockings
- Quick and Easy Crochet Christmas Stocking on Red Heart: Featuring classic styling, this one looks like it would work up super fast, and be very easy to customize!
- Polka Dot Christmas Stocking by Priscilla Hewitt: Made of 17 hexagons that are then joined together, this is a great commuter or purse project!
- Snowman Stocking on Talking Crochet: This one is rated Intermediate for difficulty, and it’s easy to see all the love that went into this design.
- Santa Stocking on Just Down Lemon Lane: Working the front and the back separately is so smart here – it let’s you sew on all the Santa pieces before seaming, making it all so much easier.
- Tractor Stocking on Marlo’s Crochet Corner, via web archive: That green tractor company is a Very Big Deal here in Iowa, and I imagine anywhere where there are kids who love tractors (kids young and old, that is)!
- Open-Work Stocking on Patons: This is a lovely, light, airy stocking for those who like a more feminine touch. It does require a lining, and instructions for that are included.
- Holly and Berry Stockings on Red Heart: Red Heart has a great collection of stocking patterns, and this is the second that I’m highlighting here today! I love how easy it is to add or subtract elements with this design for a really custom look.
- Granny Square Stocking on Best Free Crochet: You have to register for this site, but it’s free and all you have to provide is an email. And then you can get this totally retro fun pattern!
- Quick ‘n Easy Christmas Stocking by Priscilla Hewitt: This is the one for all of you who have waited til the last minute. Super bulky yarn means you can make this pattern in just one hour!
- Dog Paws and Cat Paws on Red Heart: They’ve even got the pets covered! These two patterns are too cute (but also very similar, so I’m counting it as a two-fer)!
No matter which pattern you make, add their name with Surface Crochet! Be sure to visit the moogly Surface Crochet video tutorial for more information on this easy technique.
Are your family’s stocking handmade? Did you make them, or have they been passed down? What family traditions are you working on making this year? Share with us in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, sneak peeks, and more! Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, and now Tumblr – come join the fun! And you can send me an email at TamaraKelly@mooglyblog.com!