A while back I made a video tutorial on Broomstick Lace, and showed you just how easy this stitch can be. Though it looks intimidating, an experienced crocheter should be able to master it in an evening – probably less! And a new crocheter with the motivation to tackle this technique is sure to succeed. Once you’ve got it down, you can make all sorts of things with broomstick lace – and here I’ve gathered some of my favorites!
Before we get started with the free pattern roundup, here’s the tutorial video I made. It’s a good refresher if you’ve made Broomstick Lace before, and it’s a great way to learn if you’re new to it!
That’s the basics – but what fun is it if you don’t mix things up a bit? Once you’ve got the general idea down, you can add all sorts of little changes to make each project unique. Here are 10 free patterns that all have their own take on, and use for, Broomstick Lace!
10 Free Broomstick Lace Crochet Patterns
- Broomstick Lace Afghan Square by Lisa Hamblin, on Crochet ‘N’ More: If you’re making a sampler afghan, this is a great opportunity to try your hand at Broomstick Lace! There’s even a photo tutorial to help you along.
- Hundred Yard Dash by TeaLady, on Cloud9 Patterns: This scarf makes a bold statement with a single skein of yarn!
- Myth’ens by Myriam Loreau, a Ravelry download: A little taste of Broomstick Lace on a quick pair of fingerless mitts! Love the pop of color and texture!
- Infinity and Beyond Broomstick Lace Infinity Scarf by Heidi Hengel, on Speckless: A simple change in stitch counts gives this crochet infinity scarf tons of movement and style!
- Pearl River Wrap by Doris Chan, on NaturallyCaron.com: Broomstick Lace and Bobbles combine to add lots of interest to this wrap!
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Shell by Doris Chan, on Lion Brand: This pretty crochet pattern shows how to do shaping with this lace pattern – fantastic!
- Baby in Bloom Sweater and Bonnet by Tamara Kelly, on Moogly: Oh hey, those are here! A sweet little baby sweater and matching bonnet are a great way to try this stitch!
- Pearls Baby Coat by Ana Cristina, on It’s a matter of stitching: Another take on the baby sweater, this time with an all-over broomstick pattern! Very cute!
- Friendship Shawl by Kim Guzman, on Caron: This pattern uses a unique variation of Broomstick Lace, that Kim came up with just for this project!
- Shawl “Morning Sun” by Luba Roytberg, a Ravelry download: This is another pattern with a whole new take on Broomstick Lace – so be sure to watch her video tutorial to see how it’s done! It’s simple enough from the video, but I never would’ve gotten it from the written pattern.
So what do you think? Ready to try something new, or is Broomstick Lace old hat to you? Which pattern was your favorite? Is there another pattern using this stitch that you like? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Be sure to check out and like the moogly Facebook page to get the latest updates, links, and sneak peeks. Moogly is also on Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ – come join the fun! You can contact me via the Facebook page or at [email protected]